Pan's Labyrinth


Del Torro's Pan's Labyrinth is a visually stunning and poetic film that should not be missed. I'm a BIG fan of Del Torro, and he has a unique style. I hear he is planning Hellboy 2, and I'm sure it will be quite good. The story of Pan's Labyrinth is a stunning piece of cinema. I read that he made the film for $5 million dollars, and he was offered twice as much if he would make the film in English. I applaud Del Torro to sticking to his guns. I'm sure the film was a struggle to make. From the cinematography to the set design the film looks fantastic.

The story of Pan's Labyrinth is also a great little story for our time. Set during the the Spanish Civil War where Franco crushed a rebellion by the republic. Franco went on to rule Spain with an iron fist for several decades. In a society struggling with freedom and terrorism this movie is about hope and sacrifice. It is also a fairy tale, and a good one at that. The actors all give great performances, and the little girl who plays Ofelia (Ivana Baquero) is stunning, and she will melt your heart. It is her performance alone that I recommend the film.

After seeing this type of film I felt really good. I like seeing good filmmaking, and Pan's Labyrinth is as good as it gets.

Two films in two weeks that I was crazy for, and that I thought really kicked butt. Children of Men, and now Pan's Labyrinth. Both directed by Mexican filmmakers. me thinks me needs to see Babel by Alejandro González Iñárritu. All three of these directors have a film out, and all three are three of my favorites.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009)

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011)

Megan (2022)