Seconds can be a son-of-a-B#*@*!

So here I am struggling to get my film noticed, and at the same time trying to write some new material. If you think making your first feature is hard try making your second. There is no shortages of ideas just shortages of capital. I want to be realistic about getting another film done, but after finishing your first feature you're a little more jaded and a lot more realistic. The scars from doing battle are all too real and you have the bumps & bruises to prove it. The honeymoon is over, and you now see filmmaking in a new light. No glory, no movie stars, and no wild parties. It's all an illusion, and making a film is one of the hardest things you can do. Even after making your film your battle is not over because then it comes time to sell it.

And when it comes to selling you're film you'll find yourself swimming with a lot of sharks. It's a buyers market out there, and there is a lot of product out there. A lot of it is bad, but make no mistake there is also a lot of good out there, and sometimes it's being at the right place at the right time that really makes or breaks a filmmaker. I swore I would write here what I felt and what I've experienced throughout the making of this film and my continuation of trying to become a successful filmmaker.

Maybe this all sounds like sour grapes, but it is what it is. One cannot give up, and one cannot just lay down and die. I love storytelling, and I love the cinema. It's my feeling that everyone has a story or two to tell, and with digital video now the field is wide open. The internet also provides you with a market that has yet to be fully exploitated.

The words that an old projectionist once told me that still rings true to me is "KISS": as in "Keep it simple stupid". No truer words have ever been spoken, and so I find myself stripping away the complexities of filmmaking, and getting to the heart of what filmmaking is to me. Hopefully I'll come up with something I like. Till then the struggle continues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009)

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011)

Megan (2022)