Corman gets an Oscar

Seems as though there was a bit of a dust up about Roger Corman getting his Oscar in the old blog-o-sphere.

Here's a link to the ceremony itself. Both Ron Howard, and Jonathan Demme salute Corman, and it's a nice touch.

The dust up happened at a web site called Cinematical. Neil Sarver over at Bleeding tree wrote a interesting piece about criticism, and Corman. In the piece there are links to other opinions. Head on over and take a look.

When I heard about Corman getting an Oscar I said "about time". Call Corman the devil or the angel of independent film you still have to give him his due. He's created some interesting films throughout the years.

I have an affection for the guy, and I did meet the man and he is a very courteous and soft spoken man. I have all the respect for Corman, and I like the tribute they gave him.

I had thought that they would give him his Oscar in March of next year during the academy's broadcast, but instead they give it to him now.

I'm a bit saddened to hear that. I would have loved to see what some editor would do with the many clips from Corman's movies.

I was ecstatic to hear that Gordon Willis also received a Oscar. He is another man who has been looked over by the academy. Again though why not just televise it during the ceremonies next year?

Maybe it's just me. Too much the cine-file to let it go. But just those two men alone deserve MORE recognition then what the academy gave them. Come on academy these are true artists. They deserve more.

And don't get me started on Laureen Bacall either. She was another person honored too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009)

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011)

Megan (2022)