So long Sopranos!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Okay so I have to comment about the last show of one of my favorite series on television. It seems that the creator of the series David Chase has pissed off a segment of our population, and it's making news. It goes to show you that in our media savvy culture hype is everything, and yet here it lead to disappointment or that's what their saying. I don't buy it. The Sopranos was a series about a mobster and his everyday life. All the characters in it were reprehensible goons who you would never associate with or friend for fear of being eaten.

In real life the mob is worse. Being born & raised in Brooklyn & Queens NY I know. I've seen the real thing in real life. I've never seen someone get "whacked", but I remember the stories and the people. For Chase to make these characters even worth our time watching is an amazing feat. It's like a car accident. We don't want to look, but we can't keep our eyes off the accident itself. The Sopranos was a well written series that dealt with unusual characters in unusual events.

This hype is all what WE created. Chase knew what he was doing, and he hood-winked a lot of us, but people who got the show weren't surprised at all of how it ended. Life goes on for a mobster. His way of life is in a sort of decline. The good old days were never really the good old days. Unless you count drug trafficking, numbers running, loan sharking, and prostitution as the good old days. Tony's expression before the sound cuts out in the finale, and Chase cuts to black is typical Sopranos. What Chase did was true to form, and that's all I'll say. I just wish I could write as well as he does. I can only hope someday that my writing is as good or contains elements that Chase explored in the series in 51 minute increments.

So long Sopranos! It was a wild ride, and thanks Mr. Chase for bringing television back to where it belonged and that is in writing. Really good writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009)

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011)

Megan (2022)