The State of Things


I've been lamenting about movies not being good anymore, and that everything is so corporate, but I would be remiss if I did not say that there are filmmakers and films out there that truly are works of art, and which are highly entertaining. Films such as the one pictured above. It is from a scene in "The Memory of a Killer" by director Erik Van Loovy. The above shot is of the actor Jan Decleir. The film is from Belgium, and it is an extrodinary piece of cinema. It should be put on every cinefile's list to go see. Other films such as "The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio" starring Julianne Moore, and Woody Harrelson is another film that is fabulous. Directed by Jane Anderson the film follows a women who is extra-ordinary.

Then there is the movie "Separate Lies", starring Tom Wilkinson, and Emily Watson. This film is truly a bright gem. It is the directorial debut of Julian Fellowes who creates a strong story driven by interesting characters. Just these three movies make my heart aglow, and inspire me to create better films. All three films have their uniqueness, and I'm sure these films will be given a good life on DVD, but it is unfortunate that most Americans will never see these films in theaters due to the blockbuster mentality. More and more the market is driven by niche areas, and when Hollywood says it's an independent film it usually is further from the truth.

The world is a big place, and cinema is being created all over this earth in every corner. It's great to see foreign films get their due, and it is inspiring to see how others are telling their stories. Seeing these picture I am envious at their level of production, and expertise. It sometimes makes me question on why I am doing what I am doing. Doubt sets in, and sometimes makes one paralyzed in ones own fear, BUT then it passes, and I come away invigorated, and refreshed. Like a fresh breeze that blows off the ocean on a hot and humid day, and then you realize WHY you want to tell stories.

Treat yourself and see these films. I'm sure you won't regret it. They aren't your usual Hollywood fare, but they stand on their own, and are damn fine entertainment.

Happy Holidays! See you at the cinema!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009)

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011)

Megan (2022)