Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021)




The question is why I haven't seen this film till now, and that's on me I guess. With the newer film coming out this week-end I thought it was time to watch Afterlife before going to see "Ghostbuster: Frozen Empire".  And after catching it on FX2 I was pleasantly surprised, and really loved this film. 

Having been a fan of the old series I enjoyed seeing them when they came out in 1984 and 1989.  I was in college and going to film school and the films had a definitive impact on me & that's because of Ivan Reitman the director.  His incorporation of comedic elements and drama were what made the films so successful.  Plus he was working with legends such as Bill MurrayHarold Ramis, and Dan Aykroyd all legends in the comedy field.  Successful movies are made by sheer tenacity, a bit of luck, and talent all coming together to create that lightning in a bottle.  The Ghostbuster franchise did that in the 80's, and all who worked on it were responsible for its success.  

Here "Ghostbuster: Afterlife" ties the past to the future with loving respect for the original cast and especially for the late Harold Ramis.  I dare anyone at the end this film to not shed a tear for him and his compadres.  Jason Reitman the son of Ivan Reitman does a fantastic job here honoring Mr. Ramis and his father.  I will not give the ending away but it's is one of complete satisfaction, and a loving tribute to them both.

Now the cast of "Ghostbuster: Afterlife" is just as fantastic as the original, and they bring a new generation to the Ghostbuster's franchise, which neither detracts from the previous films or renders them inferior.  In fact "Ghostbusters:  Afterlife" is a film that helps build on that franchise and makes it more meaningful and creates a certain depth to the series that we didn't have before.

McKenna Grace gives a great performance of being the grand-daughter of the character Harold Ramis played (Egon Spengler).  Finn Wollfhard plays her older brother and he too brings a sense of comedic form that Harold Ramis had with his character in the original Ghostbuster films.  Carrie Coon plays the daughter of Egon and she comes full circle in the film, and in the end there is a emotional payoff that will bring a tear to your eyes, which you will be grateful of.  I know I was, and it is a fitting tribute to Mr. Ramis.  Also there is Paul Rudd who does a great comedic bit that meshes well with the franchise, and shows off his superior comedic skills.

It is these qualities that make the film a truly wonderful film.  I am more inclined to see now "Ghostbusters: Frozen empire" now more then ever, so stay tuned for the review.

I was cheering and whooping it up as the ending unfolded, and we had the original cast and the new cast fighting side by side.  It was a wonderful experience that made me feel that I had when I saw the original films back in '84 & '89.

If you're a fan of the original then you'll love this film.  I really suggest you watch this film.  It has some very poignant scenes in this film, and it touches he heart.  I have to give this film a big thumbs up, or a rating of 5 out of 5.  Yes to me it was that good, and I suggest you seek it out.  The film is rated PG-13, and may be a bit too scary for younger viewers, but I truly don't believe that..  I think it's fine, and it does well with the various subject matters of death, responsibility, and family.  Go see it and cheer it on.  I know I did, and I would be remiss if I did not say it was so good to see Ernie Hudson up there side by side with the original cast.  I hope to see more of him in other films of the franchise, or just in general in other films.  He is a really fantastic actor.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009)

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011)

Megan (2022)