Dune 2 (2024)


 So it's been forever since seeing Dune: Part One, but I was excited to see the conclusion & I was not disappointed, but was not satisfied.  I'll try and explain if I can.  I first read Dune the novel in high school.   I was a sci-fi nerd, and was engrossed in the novel.  A novel that had it's own glossary to explain different words meaning.  Herbert created a universe that was so inhabited by different houses which competed against each other and who were divided by their specialities they provided for the empire.  It was a complex and fascinating read.  Unlike anything that I had ever read before.  I would re-read the novel again in 1984 when David Lynch released his film Dune.  I had very mixed feelings about the film.  It was it's own unique film to say the least.  A total Lynch film for sure, and there are things in the film that were a bit over the top, but kind of reflected the novel.  

Now flash forward 30 years and out pops the conclusion of Dune: Part One.  Dune Part One was released in 2021when films were returning after the pandemic.   It was released soon after on Max streaming service which is connected to HBO, so I saw it twice.  Once in the theater, and then again on MAX.  I really liked Dune Part One.  Great set-up and loved seeing Oscar Issac as the Duke Leto.  The movie get's going from the first frame.  The filmmaking for both movies are stellar.  Denis Villeneuve is a very accomplished filmmaker and his Dune is one that is all encompassing.  The visuals by cinematographer Greg Fraser are astounding and breathtaking.   Patrice Vermette's production design is all encompassing and creates a world unlike anything we've ever seen.  I have no problem with the look, the feel, or the pacing of this film.  It's masterful,, and if your a fan of the novel I think you'll like it.  I myself loved Dune, but became stuck dishearten by the further novels.  It was melodramatic and it became a bit more then I could chew at the time, ad even now I have interest in reading all the novels.  It's like "Game of Thrones" or "The Walking Dead" for me.  Great stories, interesting set-ups, but the soap opera like melodrama just turns me off.  Which the film is beginning to turn into.   The novels had a lot of sub-plots that was hard to keep track of.  The movie does not do that exclusively, which I am very thankful for.    Villeneuve & Joe Spaihts do a great re-write of sorts, yet they stay pretty faithful to the novel sparing us the intricate sub-plots or the melodrama.   And here's where it kind of makes me feel a bit disappointed.  Not in the film, but that we, the audience, are NOT given a satisfying ending or in this case some have said its been written about "the non-ending.

I'm not going to do spoilers but the ending is a bit different then the novel.  The character Zendaya plays whose name is Chani and that of Paul played by Timothee Chalamet  are not resolved.  In fact it diverges from the book which is fine, but my argument is the first two films are sort of about their relationship, and we as the audience have some interest in the two.  Whether it's because they are the most prominent characters in the film, or whether it's because of their growing love or respect of each other.  There is no satisfying conclusion to it.  Paul becomes what he despises, and in a way a villain.  The novel ends the same in a way, but not with the two going their separate ways.

I hope I haven't given too much away.  The firsts two films invest our interest in these two characters and for it not having some resolution seems wrong.  Now this would be fine if a sequel was on its way in the next few months or even a year from now, but the director has stated he isn't interested in doing a third film right away.  Villeneuve has stated he would like to do so, and with Dune Part Two being successful it may come to fruition, but dangling a conclusion to this now trilogy seems wrong & may just piss off a certain amount the audience member's.  

You say what about other trilogies? Such movies as "The Lord of the Rings", "Star Wars", "The Godfather", "The Dark Knight", "The Bourne Identity", "Back to the Future", and "The Raiders of the Lost Ark".   All are successful trilogies, and they all earned they're respectable box office.  Because after all it matters if the films make money for it's studio.  It's the only guarantee that studios like a hot franchise.   Maybe it'll work, but I know I hate being strung along.  I like trilogies that have a beginning, middle, and end.  This didn't for me, and hence my dissatisfaction for the ending.

See it if you're a fan.  See it for the visuals, and the fantastic worlds the filmmaker's create.  A great review that I find funny and pretty on point would be from Clint Gage entitled "Dune: Part Two is a perfect Adaptation because of One Key difference" for IGN.com

I know maybe it's just petty, but the filmmaker in me doesn't understand why the studio didn't shoot back to back sequels.  Maybe it's because its Warner Brothers studios?  After George Lucas proved in the early 2000's that one can shot and edited a trilogy all at once.  He did that for: "Phantom Menace", "Attack of the Clones", and "Revenge of the Sith".  All made money and kept their releases to two or three years.  To do so and lengthen the time the conclusion of Dune comes up risks audience interest in the story or the franchise.  After all you need closure, and in Dune Two there is none.

That's my two cents.  See the movie if you're a cinephile like me.  See it because you're a fan of the novels. The casting is good, and the acting is top notch.  It's just that why release a supposed trilogy if you're not committed?  I know moviemaking is an expensive and challenging endeavor, but it also shows you have no commitment to the story or to the audience, and if you don't care why should we?  George Lucas believed in his story, and he did what he thought was right & it paid off.   And if their is another film it'll be years until the next one, and you risk talent, money, interest and audience from walking away and not doubling  downing on what could be a very successful franchise.  That's my argument and why I came away with a dissatisfied feeling.  I hope to see the conclusion sooner then later.  We can hope I guess.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009)

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011)

Megan (2022)