The Frenzy & the Documentary!


Dear Dad from Karl Bauer on Vimeo.

It's been crazy, and exhilarating all at the same time. When I do something I seem to tax all my resources, and push everything too the limit. I'm on page 59 on my script about my dad. It's gotten a bit difficult as I get up there on pages, but I'm getting there. Since I'm basing some of this on things that have happened it sometimes gets a bit painful to write. But it's amazing how much I forgot too. In these past few days I've been talking to people, and letting them tell me about how they saw things. Sometimes it's like Rashômon and at other times it's amazing how certain memories trigger others.

The above clip is part of the documentary about my dad. It has no music to it, and it's my voice that's narrating it, and I'm a bit uncomfortable hearing my voice, but it is a start. There is so much more to do, and I'd like to hear less of me and more of others, but that may be difficult since there are very few who are alive now who really knew my dad. But I figured I manage, and I did say I would try and post my progress, so here it is. Comments are always welcomed. I've been video taping my mom, and that's kind of fun. I hope to do more this week.

To inspire me I watched "Italian American" by Scorsese. Scorsese did a little documentary on his parents back in 1974 which is pretty neat. I like how his subjects do the talking, and how intimate it is. It's well done, and I'm pretty sure Scorsese shot this in 16mm. It's on YouTube if your interested. I'll post the first ten minutes below. It's a good lesson on how to make an interesting documentary, and it's really entertaining.

It's been interesting. I'm not totally satisfied with the script, or the documentary, but it'll evolve. The one thing I can say at lest is that I'm doing something I love, and that's important. Not doing was killing me, and doing something for yourself is quite rewarding. We'll see how it all goes. Of course there are a lot of other thoughts running around the old noggin, but lets finish some projects before we start others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009)

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011)

Megan (2022)