The wheel does spin

I've been thinking about what I really want in life, and why do I feel so stagnant. Chalk it up to the lazy days of summer, and having the attitude in saying "WTF". This Friday opens a movie by a favorite filmmaker of mine. His name is Jim Jarmush, and his film is entitled "Broken Flowers". If your unfamiliar with Mr Jamush's films here are a couple that may sound familiar: "Stranger than Paradise", Down By Law", "Mystery Train", and Coffee & Cigarettes". I like Jarmusch's style, and he has such a unique way of looking at the world. He's a filmmaker I'd consider a true filmmaker. I like that he doesn't rehearse his actors but instead talks to them about the character. What do I mean by a true filmmaker? What is that? Doesn't any person who makes a film become a true filmmaker. The simple answer is NO!

A true filmmaker has his own unique look and feel, and he doesn't compromise in his or her vision no matter what the budget is. A true filmmaker takes cinema into different places, and tells his or her story in unique ways. Pushing boundaries! That's what it's all about for me. I've proven to myself that I can make a film from A to Z, and do it on the cheap, and yet make it look half way decent. Now I want more. I want to push film into other territories. There are so many filmmakers out there who are following the same road that Hollywood has been going down for decades now. Nothing new, and that's what eggs me on. Even I am susceptible to the old fall back position of telling a story. I get frustrated when I realize it's more of the same formula that has been ingrained into me by countless viewings of movies and television. That's the frustrating part of creating something. Maybe it's too much to ask to be different, and that constant experimenting is the ONLY way to achieve anything new, but the process is maddening, and sometimes just plain sucks!

So I push forward, and hope that an idea catches me and lights the creative flame under me, so that I can finally break free of the mundane, and be extraordinary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009)

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011)

Megan (2022)