Jurassic World (2015)


What can be said about Jurassic world that hasn't been said by other critics.  my youngest son said it in one word: "AWESOME".  We have enjoyed the series throughout the years, but I asked my boys which do you like, and they all go back to the original.  The others felt like repeats of the same they said, and my boys aren't half wrong.  When Jurassic Park came out way back in 1993 we as an audience had not seen anything like the film.  The effects were breathtaking, and the creatures were very real looking.  That is because a lot of hard work went into the effects.  Some of the CGI was groundbreaking.  So how does one out do the original?  Simple, you don't even try.

Jurassic World is a movie that is unlike the others.  It's new.  The story picks up more then 20 years latter and tries to spin it's own tale.  It seems as though Jurassic World the amusement park has been running for 20 years and without one incident.  What the other films were trying to say about dinosaurs has been ignored, and that is NOT bringing them back is what we should do.  Instead mankind has ignored the warnings and what actually happened on the island and instead built their theme park.  Of course we come in just as the proverbial poop is going to hit the fan.

Everything is bigger in Jurassic World, and why not.  The filmmakers had to bring it big or go home, and I can tell you that they brought it home.  The writing is typical, and the characters are a bit one dimensional.  Some critics have even said that it is a bit chauvinistic since the female protagonist runs around in high heels and is a career minded women who does not know her nephews ages, but I beg to differ.  In the end she comes through and risks life and limb to save her nephews and our hero, so the argument doesn't hold too much water for me, and did not interfere with me enjoying the film myself.

I'll agree with the one dimensional characters, but the story is epic, and it is very entertaining.  What else do you need for a summer movie.

All the performances were good, and I know other critics have harped on it.  I really don't think it has a problem.  The story rolls right along, and yes the one dimensional characters are a there, but the movie runs two hours and ten minutes.  For me it's all about the pacing, and the movie works for me.  The audience I saw with it didn't have a problem with the film.

I do believe that this film shows us that we humans still don't learn form our mistakes and when even when we think we're in control we're not.  Several times the characters say that they are animals not just products, but it seems to fall onto deaf ears.  In the end the animals save the humans, not the other way around.  Nature is stronger.  I don't know if anyone got that message but it seems lost on some.

If I was the filmmakers I wouldn't sweat it.  Already the film seems to be breaking box office records, and is fast on its way to one billion in gross.  So I'm sure the studio is laughing all the way to the bank.

So as Mel Brooks would say let the merchandising begin.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009)

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011)

Megan (2022)