Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)


It's summertime and the movie blockbusters are lining up at your local theaters.  To say that Captain America was a film I've been waiting for is an understatement.  In my youth their was Captain America (cappie for short), then spiderman, the Fantastic Four, Iron Man, and the Hulk.  I was a Marvel child (sorry DC).  I would devour all comic books as soon as I got them.  So when Captain America was announced about two years ago I began counting the days.  Even got my big boy to want to go see it since he loved Iron man.

So can you predict where this review will go?  I was not disappointed seeing Cappie and I thought Joe Johnston direction was well done.  A origin film is hard to do.  There is a lot of back story to cover, and sometimes it's hard to get it all in and be faithful to the comic.  Captain America has no problem there.  Johnston does extremely well to cover the true origin of Captain America, and stays faithful to the comic.  Chris Evans does a great job portraying Steve Rogers/ Captain America.  Some may call it a one note performance, but I do believe he gives depth to Captain America the human being.   Hayley Atwell, Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving, Stanley Tucci, and Sebastian Stan all give great performances that add to the film.

The music by Alan Silvestri is dead on and enhances the film greatly.  How the filmmakers explain the different variations of Captain America is pretty cool.  I enjoyed seeing it as a period piece, and the filmmakers touch on the various different stages that Capie goes through.  This includes the different shields he used to his team he assembles to fight Hydra and the Red Skull.  Marvel could have made several films of Capie fighting the Nazis alone and that would have been fine, but there is a lot of material to cover and the filmmakers get through it at a good pace.

I know this all leads to the movie "The Avengers" set for next year release.  It will be interesting how it all comes together and how the characters fit.  I like how Marvel is putting their films together, and making sure each film fits into the Marvel universe.  It was also good to see that San Lee one of the creators of Marvel had a small role in it.  He even has one of the funniest lines, so look out for it if you get a chance.

"Captain America: The First Avenger" is a film that will make you laugh, and shout.  It's enjoyable, and breathtaking to watch.  It remains one of my favorite superhero flicks of all time.  See it and enjoy it because Cappie's back in town.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009)

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011)

Megan (2022)