I've been a fan of the series since it came out, and a bigger Spielberg & Lucas fan. It's good to see them invigorating the series. I know I'll be taking my boys.
Layer Cake is an ingenious crime drama with layers of complexity that lifts it out of the regular standard crime drama scenario. Matthew Vaughn directs from a script by J.J. Connolly who wrote the novel also. It stars Daniel Craig as XXXX. Yes that's right Craig's character has no name. The name is never mentioned, and in the end it is suppose to mean something to us as the author uses irony to eventually show us the characters downfall. I had no problem with this film. It is complex and a bit hard to understand due to the accents, but it did feel very authentic. Daniel Craig does an outstanding performance as a cocaine drug dealer who we sort of like, and that's the beauty of this movie. Who would think or even care about a character like XXXX, but we do. Colm Meaney is also in this film, and he does a great job as a guy with both shoes in the criminal an the legit world. George Harris as Morty also gives an interesting performance that is quite believable, and that...
Not for Nothing is a indie film with heart. If feels like Philly and it all takes place in South Philadelphia, which is a strong character in itself. I've been interested in this film since way back when they were filming it here in. Philly. I never got a chance to see it when it played here at the Philadelphia film festival, nor did I catch it when it played in some theaters here in Philly, but after many hurtles they found distribution from Buffalo 8 and it is playing on various streaming platforms. I saw it on Verizon, and it's on Amazon Prime as well. It's good and if you're from Philly it just feels right. All the mannerisms, and accents are authentic because it was made by South Philly people. Some have compared this to Goodfellas, but I'd like to compare it to those serials from the past such as "Our Gang", or "The Bowery Boys". The story is simple after a girl that our crew knew dies of an overdose our gang tries ...
Maggie Gyllenh aal's "The Bride" is a unique film that tries to tie female rage against the Patriarchy along with Mary Shelly's spirit who is angry & rage filled. It is the films framing piece that I have trouble with. By making Mary Shelly a vengeful sprit who is angry at the whole patriarch and who possesses the Bride and makes her lash out at the world seems to do a disservice to Mary Shelly's memory and her works that she accomplished. Such poems like: "To love in Solitude & mystery", "Absence", and "Ode to Ignorance" seem to have been combined with her book "Frankenstein". That is the way it feels to me, and one who is unfamiliar with her work could surmise that this is how Shelly felt and so her possessing the Bride would be of unrequited love and anger towards men, and truly that's the filmmaker's prerogative, but I'd prefer my B movies less heady and just plain simple. Frankenstein is lonel...
Comments