10 MPH DIY Manual

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Check out the guys at 10 mph website. They wrote down their experiences for their film, and they have some interesting things to say about DIY distribution.

Here's a section I really thought relevant. Especially where I'm right now.

Keep on keepin' on. I notice a lot of filmmakers in the festival circuit that have spent an arm and a leg both in terms of time and money to make a film. They are reaching the point of burnout and don't have any idea how to make another film. So, they don't. Josh and I realized we had to keep making films, otherwise we would have probably faded away too. When we launched plans to make 10 Yards we were pretty burnt out, but it was refreshing to see how this film re-invigorated us and gave us a lot of new energy around developing this career. We were also amazed at how much easier it was to raise some of the money we needed to make the film. With the success 10 MPH was having on the festival circuit, people were more apt to support. Whatever it takes, if you are into filmmaking because of the career, you have to find ways to keep making films. That job I took between 10 MPH and 10 Yards was fast becoming too comfortable and I could see how easy it would have been to slip back into that world for good. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It'll happen to many of us and someday may still happen to me, but I really do hope it's a clear and conscious choice if it does. Not something that is the result of a bunch of dead ends.

The burning out phrase rang a few bells, as well as having another project ready to go. I've always had ideas but always those ideas seemed still too grandiose. I am always struggling with budget, but I do know talent, and when you get a bunch of talented people together the possibilities are endless. I just need to find something that really draws me in, and get other people involved. So it's off to more writing for me. I'm down, but I ain't out just yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009)

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011)

Megan (2022)