A Look Back to the future?


Early Work from Karl Bauer on Vimeo.


I've been digitizing some old reels and projects.  After seeing this it's amazing what we did before NLE editing.  The two commercials from the cable association, and Illinois Power actually aired.  My movie knowledge helped in that one.  The Merrill Lynch one was what they call a "Steal-a-matic".  That's where you steal scenes or shots from movies, and other commercials to create a new one so the client can visualize what the agency has in mind.   The client didn't want it.  All I remember from that project was cutting the audio.  One of the guys in my department was a big help, and I really learned a thing or two from the tricks he'd do on the A/B roll edit system.

The last was a college project we had to do.  It was my friends project, and we shot it with a very lovely model.  It was shot handheld, and that was a big mistake.  I think we shot two or three 400 feet rolls of film, and after getting it back we had to edit it.  I remember my friend and I sitting at the flat-bed editor for hours cutting to the track she decided to use.  We had film hanging like spaghetti all over the editing room.   Reminds me how far editing has come.  We were all racing to get the project finished before its deadline.  The money and time we spent at Kodak, and at the Labs were not to be believed.  Thank God for student discounts!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009)

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011)

Megan (2022)