Hi I'm Carl by Jack Tew


Hi I'm Carl from Jack Tew on Vimeo.


Sometimes you come across things you want to share, and this is one of them.  while uploading some new material I came across this short film by Jack Tew.  Of course I was interested because of the name of the film and my own name.  I figured why not.  I have a pet peeve sometimes that Hollywood stereotypes characters called "Karl".  Either the character is a moron like Bill Murry's character in "Caddyshack", which I really found funny, or "Carl" is bad guy like in the film "Ghost", or the original "Die Hard".  Either way the name seems to have no middle ground.  In this short film I liked the character "Carl".  I felt for him, and felt his loneliness, and desperation.  When the women he fancy's calls his name you just want to cheer.  It reminds me of the film "Marty" starring Ernest Borgnine.  A great film and one where Borgnine won an Oscar for.

The film was shot with the Canon 7D and it looks sharp.  I wasn't too thrilled by some of the lighting where the characters face was in ugly shadow, but the majority of the film is lite well.  I would be curious to find out if it was lite with balanced florescent bulbs.  What ever it was lite with it does give the feel of a cold and desolate existence, and having worked in places like that I like how the filmmaker conveys this through nuance's in the photography.

The score is wonderful too.  Very minimalistic, but quite effective.  Stuff like this inspires me, and makes me really want to do more character pieces.  Mr. Tew, you rock, and I can't thank you enough for that nice slice of life.  It put a smile on my face, and warmed the old heart.

If you like this you'll like Mr. Tew's other short "One Night Stand".  It's pretty funny, and well done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009)

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011)

Megan (2022)