The State of Things


So I've come to the conclusion that the only way to sell this film is through the web, but first I'd like to get it out there and somewhat noticed. Film festivals seem to be a big bust, and I'm finding out that it's not so much that you have a film to show, but who do you know on the film festival committee. I know this sounds like sour grapes, and maybe in part it is, but if a festival is truly trying to be "indie" friendly then why wouldn't it give a local production or a truly "independent" film a chance to be seen? I'll tell you why, and the reason is that it's all about the prestige and the MONEY. It's no wonder experimental filmmakers can't get any play any more. The festivals seem to all be catering to the Hollywood image of a festival. Stars, celebrity judging, award ceremonies to celebrities are all that matter. The more stars the more prestige, and the more prestige the more money a festival brings in. I've tried entering over a dozen festivals. From small ones to big ones, and nothing has come of it except an empty bank account. Maybe my film isn't so good? Maybe it isn't worth seeing? Maybe it's a real stinker, and I'm just a bad filmmaker? All these doubts and questions can really play with your self confidence. Then I see what is playing at these festivals and I think no, maybe I'm just not Hollywood type material. No star's, no car chases, no happy endings, and no blatant T&A. Mind you "Deadly Obsessions" is a film about adultery, and there are some risque scenes in it, but filmed entirely tackfully, and tastefully. Believe me when I say it was done intentionally due to my love of film noir. So how does one get spin on a movie that some found entertaining, and interesting. The key is to get it out there. The public and yes the critics are the ones that will make or break the film. I sometimes feel as though I'm not putting everything I have into this movie, but what I put in is all I got. Working, & raising a family keeps me real busy these days, so it's hard just to get some notice of the film. Maybe I'm just whistling in the dark, but I notice that there are several others out there who are doing it also, and who have just as much passion as I do, so I guess I'm in good company. The best thing about all this is that I've learned to be smarter, and I know what to do and what not to do. In the craft of filmmaking that's all anyone can ask for. Because that next movie, or that next project is right around the corner, and you need to be ready to take that next step.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009)

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011)

Megan (2022)